Sunday, October 13, 2013

Spicy pickled green beans (and carrots)

This is my favorite pickled green bean recipe! Found the recipe here I do sometimes have to add just a bit more vinegar to get it to cover all my veggies. This time I added carrots :)

Spicy pickled green beans and carrots 0pp

1 lb of green beans trimmed (I cheat and buy a bag already trimmed)
2 cups of rice vinegar
1/4 cup of sugar
2 Tbsp kosher salt
6 small dried chili peppers
1 tsp of multi colored peppercorns
3" piece of kombu dried kelp or seaweed (I didn't have any this time and it's not a big deal)
lemon slices

Bring a large pan of water to a boil and blanch the green beans and carrots for 3 minutes. They still want to be crisp.

While bringing the water to a boil put all the other ingredients except the lemon in a small pan and bring to a boil. As soon as it boils pour it over the hot veggies and lemon slices.

Drain and put the hot beans and carrots into a heat proof container/bowl. Put the lemon slices on top. And pour the hot pickling liquid over it. Slice open the hot chilies if you want it spicier.

No comments:

Corn Salad 2sp

I just made an individual amount for me so if you make more than one serving it might change the points. Corn Salad 2sp 1/2c corn which...